The UC Blue Ash Learning and Teaching Center offers faculty support, resources, and opportunities for supporting student learning.
Assessment Strategies & Tools
Here are some Excel spreadsheet templates for plotting data from your course evaluation forms over time.
- Download a blank sheet you can fill in. It has all the formulas embedded already. [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/StudentEvalsBlank.xlsx]
- Download a sample of what one looks like with data in it [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/StudentEvalsSample.xlsx]
- Cross and Angelo's 50 Classroom Assessment Techniques.
- UC Blue Ash English Department Primary Trait Scale [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/Trait-Scale.docx]
- Guide for multiple choice tests [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/Writing%20Excellent%20Multiple%20Choice%20Tests.doc]
iClicker Use Strategies
- Tips for successful iClicker use by Douglas Duncan [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/Tips-for-successful-clicker-use-YELLOW.pdf]
- Guide to successful iClicker use by the Colorado University Science Education Initiative [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/Clicker_guide_CWSEI_CU-SEI.pdf]
- "Why Peer Discussion Improves student performance on in-class concept questions" (Smith, 2009) [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/Science-2009-Smith-peer_instruction.pdf]
- Videos of iClickers and Peer Instruction from the University of British Columbia
- Creating a Primary Trait Scale [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/PTA's_Effective_vs_Ineffective.doc]
- Rubistar - tool for finding and developing rubrics
Giving Effective Feedback
Here is a document [original link path: /content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/THE_AFTL_effectivefeedback_final.pdf] from the AFTL that discusses different ways to give effective feedback for student work.
Documenting Effective Teaching
- A Menu of Options
- Reflection on a Rubric
- Reflection on course forms
- The Reflective Memo
- Facilitating Peer Review
- Assessing a Teaching Syllabus
- The Annotated Syllabus
Tools For Concept Mapping
Here are some softwares and tools for making concept maps:
Here are suggestions and references for making lectures more interactive and engaging for students.
- Lecture like a pro workshop [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/Lecture%20like%20a%20Pro%20workshop.doc]
- Pedagogy and PowerPoint [original link path: https://www.ucblueash.edu/content/dam/ucblueash/docs/resources/faculty-resources/learning-teaching/PowerPoint%20Pedagogy%20V2.ppt]
Workshop Series [original link path: https://ucblueash.edu/resources/faculty-staff/learning/workshop.html]