Placement assessments are a way to evaluate students’ skills in English, Reading and Math. The results help determine which courses would be most appropriate for the student – so you get to work on the course that’s best suited for your needs.
Have you completed these?
Do I need a Placement Assessment?
You need to complete one or more Placement Assessments if your answer to ANY of these questions is “NO”:
- Do you have official transcripts with qualifying college credit?
- Do you have college-ready ACT/SAT scores? (see below)
- Is your high school GPA 2.2 or below?
- Have you earned a high school equivalency diploma and did not submit an ACT/SAT score?
College-Ready ACT/SAT scores
|ACT Math Score
|SAT Math Score
|Math Placement Needed?
|25 or higher
|650 or higher
|24 or lower
|Yes - Take Math Placement
|No math score on ACT or SAT
|Yes - Take Math Placement
Students with transfer credit for college level math or a score of 3 or higher on an Advance Placement exam may be exempt from Math Placement Assessment, regardless of ACT/SAT scores. These scores must be on file with UC.
About the Placement Assessments
There are three Placement Assessments:
- Math Placement test or ALEKS test
- Guided Self-Placement (Writing Assessment)
- Reading Placement Test
Math Placement Test
The University of Cincinnati Blue Ash College requires an ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (ALEKS PPL) Assessment to determine readiness for mathematics courses. ALEKS PPL is a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses.
- 30 questions
- Takes 60-90 minutes
- You can retake it up to 2 times after completing individualized Prep and Learning Modules
- Click Math Placement under Current Tasks in your Bearcat Portal
Check with your Academic Advisor if you do not have access to Bearcat Portal.
Guided Self-Placement Writing Tool (GSP)
Guided Self-Placement (GSP) will help students decide which college writing course will be the right place for them to begin the English composition sequence at the University of Cincinnati Blue Ash College.
- Asks questions related to students' experiences with writing
- Provides information about the writing courses in the English Composition sequence
- Asks students to select a writing course to register during Orientation
- About 10-15 minutes
- Go to Current Tasks in your Bearcat portal and complete the Pre-enrollment Questionnaire and Placement Self-Assessment
- Check with your Academic Advisor if you do not have access to Bearcat Portal.
Reading Placement Test
The Reading Placement is required for students who have a high school GPA of 2.2 or below or have earned a high school equivalency diploma only. A student can be exempt from the Reading Placement if college-ready ACT/SAT scores are provided.
- About 40-60 minutes
- 60 questions
- Go to Current Tasks in your Bearcat portal and click on Take Reading Placement
- Check with your Academic Advisor if you do not have access to Bearcat Portal or email email@example.com
Where do I find the Placement Assessments I need to take?
There are three Placement Assessments, but you may not need to take them all!
- Log in to your Bearcat Portal and go to Tasks.
- Look under the Current Tasks tab and complete the following:
- Pre-enrollment Questionnaire (required)
- Placement Self-Assessment (required)
- Math Placement
- Reading Placement (not applicable to all)
Overview & Deadlines
After you complete step two of the admission process (confirming your admission) to UC Blue Ash College, you need to take your placement tests.
The University of Cincinnati Blue Ash College requires an ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (ALEKS PPL) Assessment to determine readiness for mathematics courses. ALEKS PPL is a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses. The Placement Assessment is up to 30 questions and generally takes 60-90 minutes to complete. After the Placement Assessment, an individualized Prep and Learning Module is available for students to refresh their knowledge on forgotten topics. Students then have the opportunity to reassess and improve their placement.
Guided Self-Placement (GSP) will help students decide which college writing course will be the right place for them to begin the English composition sequence at the University of Cincinnati Blue Ash College. The Guided Self-Placement for Writing tool asks a series of questions related to students' experiences with writing, provides information about the writing courses in the English Composition sequence, and then asks students to select which writing course they will register for at orientation.
The Reading Placement Test is required for students who have a high school GPA below a 2.2 or have earned a high school equivalency diploma only. A student can be exempt from the Reading Placement Test if qualifying ACT/SAT scores are provided to the institution.
Placement tests/tools, or appropriate exemptions, are required before a student is eligible to attend orientation. Please complete all placements at least two weeks before your scheduled orientation date. Failure to complete placement testing requirements may result in cancellation of your orientation reservation.
Which placement tests do I need to take?
All students are required to complete placement tasks, unless they have qualifying ACT/SAT scores, or appropriate transfer credit. Click below to learn about the different placement testing requirements.
Note: Transfer and Dual-Enrollment credit may also qualify for test exemption. Official transcripts from those schools must be submitted to the University of Cincinnati and processed.
Can I take placement tests online?
All the placement assessments are online. You will find links to the assessments in your Bearcat Portal, under the Current Tasks tab.
See below if you have questions about completing placement testing online:
Can I take placement tests in-person?
Complete Your Placement and Register for Orientation
For our faculty and staff to best support you, it is imperative that you complete your GSP for Writing tool and required placement tests before attending orientation. Your placement tasks deadline is determined by your orientation date – ideally you should complete all placement tasks about two weeks before the orientation.
You must also register to attend your required UC Blue Ash orientation. You are not automatically registered for an orientation session by completing placement tasks.