Student Orientation Leaders
Student Orientation Leaders (SOLs) represent the UC Blue Ash student body for incoming students and their families during Orientation and Convocation programs over the summer. They welcome, greet, and mingle with new students and provide guidance and support throughout orientation and convocation. SOLs facilitate small group discussions and lead campus tours, they assist with advising and registration, and they serve as liaisons between the faculty, staff, and new students.
UC Blue Ash Student Ambassadors are selected directly from the pool of SOLs. In other words, you must be a SOL in order to be eligible for the Student Ambassador program. UC Blue Ash Student Ambassadors serve as the "face" of the student body and actively engage in college events and programs. In exchange for their commitment to serving the college, Ambassadors earn a full scholarship for tuition and fees during their term.
Student Orientation Leader Responsibilities
- Serve as UCBA student representatives at orientation and convocation
- Welcome, greet and mingle with new students and their family members
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information about the UCBA campus
- Facilitate small group discussions with new students
- Provide guidance and support to students, peers, and colleagues
Benefits of Being an Orientation Leader
- Hourly wage compensation ($8.55/hour) for training, orientation, and convocation
- Eligible to apply to be a UCBA Student Ambassador (scholarship for tuition and fees if selected)
- Cultivate leadership, teamwork and public speaking skills.
Orientation Leaders will be expected to serve approximately 100 hours between March and August. The time commitments for SOLS are as follows:
You must be available for all of the training sessions.
- Wednesday, March 25 from 5 to 8 pm
- Wednesday, April 1 from 5 to 8 pm
- Wednesday, April 8 from 5 to 8 pm
- Wednesday, April 15 from 5 to 8 pm
- Wednesday, April 22 from 5 to 8 pm
- Tuesday, May 5 from 9 am to 4:30 pm
- Wednesday, May 6 from 9am to 4:30 pm
- Friday, July 17 (SOL Mid-Summer Retreat) from 8:30am – 4:30pm
Responsibilities: Engage with teammates and campus partners during training session. Required to complete one project (e.g., with partner, present to the rest of the team about a campus resource) to pass the training review.
Must be available for 15 of 20 orientation programs between April and August. We offer orientation programs for summer-start first-year students, fall-start transfer students, and fall-start first-year students. Dates are determined by mid-February.
Responsibilities: During each orientations session, Orientation Leaders will provide support during orientation set-up, check-in, advising and registration, and the family transition program. Orientation Leaders will also lead campus tours, facilitate small group discussions, and direct large groups.
- Training: During Mid-Summer Retreat (July 17, 2020)
- Convocation Program: Thursday, August 20, 2020: 8am-2pm
Responsibilities: Available for convocation training and serve as Orientation Leaders during New Student Convocation in late August. Orientation Leaders will provide guidance and support to new students during New Student Convocation. They will facilitate small group discussions and articulate important campus information to new students.
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about UC Blue Ash College
- Friendly and engaging with students and their families; able to make positive first impressions
- Model of inclusivity for new students and teammates
- Dedicated to the team and responsible for committing necessary time
- Comfortable taking leadership position on campus
- Reliable and Responsible
- 2.5+ cumulative GPA
- At least one semester of UCBA Student Experience
- Completed application
- One recommendation form
How to Apply
The application deadline is Friday, January 24, 2020.
Student Orientation Leader Information Meetings
Come to one of the three meetings below to learn more about the SOL position; you only need to attend one information meeting:
- Tuesday, November 19 from 12:30pm – 1:30pm in Walters 100
- Wednesday, January 15 from 12:30pm – 1:30pm in Walters 100
- Thursday, January 16 from 12:30pm – 1:30pm in Walters 100
Chris Dziekan | Program Manager for Orientation and Leadership Development
Muntz Hall | Room 123