Student Orientation Leaders
Student Orientation Leaders (SOLs) represent the UC Blue Ash student body for incoming students and their families during Orientation and Convocation programs over the summer. They welcome, greet, and mingle with new students and provide guidance and support throughout orientation and convocation. SOLs facilitate small group discussions and lead campus tours, they assist with advising and registration, and they serve as liaisons between the faculty, staff, and new students.
The application period for 2022 Student Orientation Leaders is now open.
- Apply to be a Student Orientation Leader (SOL)
- Fill out a Student Orientation Leader (SOL) recommendation form for references
All applications and online recommendations due on Friday, February 4, 2022 at 11:59 pm.
Student Orientation Leader Responsibilities
- Serve as UCBA student representatives at orientation and convocation
- Welcome, greet and mingle with new students and their family members via “in person” sessions and/or online via Zoom
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information about the UCBA campus and its resources
- Facilitate virtual small group discussions with new students
- Provide guidance and support to students, peers, and colleagues
Benefits of Being an Orientation Leader
- Hourly wage compensation ($9.50/hour) for training, orientation, and convocation.
- Eligible to apply to be a UCBA Student Ambassador (scholarship for tuition and fees if selected as an Ambassador).
- Cultivate leadership, teamwork, and public speaking skills.
Orientation Leaders will be expected to serve approximately 100 hours between March and August. The time commitments for SOLS are as follows:
You must be available for all the paid training sessions unless you have a Wednesday evening class:
- Wednesday, March 23 from 5:00 to 8:00 pm
- Wednesday, March 30 from 5:00 to 8:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 6 from 5:00 to 8:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 13 from 5:00 to 8:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 20 from 5:00 to 8:00 pm
- Tuesday, May 3 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Wednesday, May 4 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Responsibilities: Engage with teammates and campus partners during training sessions. Complete assigned SOL training homework.
Although this may change, UCBA New Student Orientation sessions will probably be offered both in person and online for incoming Fall 2022 students. SOLs must be available for most sessions and must be willing to work both online and “in person”. Orientation dates will be determined by mid-February and available to candidates before they commit to signing a contract of employment. Dependable transportation to and from UC Blue Ash is required.
Note: The UC Shuttle does not run in the summer.
Responsibilities: During each orientation session, SOLs will provide support during orientation set-up, check-in, advising and registration, and the family transition program. Student Orientation Leaders will also lead campus tours, facilitate small group discussions, and direct large groups.
New Student Convocation
Date and Time to Be Announced
Responsibilities: Available for convocation training and serve as Orientation Leaders during New Student Convocation in late August. SOLs will provide guidance and support to new students during New Student Convocation. They will facilitate small group discussions and articulate important campus information to new students. Convocation may be in person or online. A decision about the format for New Student Convocation will be made in Mid-July 2022.
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about UC Blue Ash College
- Friendly and engaging with students and their families; able to make positive first impressions
- Model inclusivity for new students and teammates
- Dedicated to the team and responsible for committing the necessary time
- Comfortable taking leadership position
- Reliable and responsible
- 2.5+ Cumulative GPA
- Candidates must comply with all UC vaccine requirements.
- Candidates must have at least one semester of UCBA student experience
- Completed application (due by 11:59pm on Friday, January 28, 2022)
- One recommendation form (due by 11:59pm on Friday, January 28, 2022)
SOL Information Meetings
Chris Dziekan | Program Manager for Orientation and Leadership Development
Muntz Hall | Room 112C