UC Smiles Program
Stronger and Brighter. For life.
The UC Smiles program brings area children to the UC Blue Ash campus and provides them with the resources they need to attain good oral health – while encouraging them that a college education is attainable for everyone. During the event, children receive:
- A Road Map to college
- A tour of University of Cincinnati Blue Ash College complete with a book bag filled with UC “goodies”
- Nutritional information to make wise choices for overall health
- A healthy lunch
- Complete prophylaxis (teeth cleaning)
- Dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Oral care instructions (brushing and flossing education)
- Necessary home care products to continue with oral health
- An overall assessment of the condition of their teeth and mouth including their risk for caries (tooth decay)
Building Community Partnerships
The UC Smiles program reaches out to surrounding Cincinnati area schools to assess the need for oral health care. During its first two years (funded by Dental Care Plus) we partnered with one area school to pilot the program, and expanded to two schools in 2012. Currently, UC Smiles, funded by Proctor & Gamble, operates four times in each academic year, with one of those dates being a restorative day. Local dentists and other dental care professionals volunteer their time on this day to expand the services offered. As of September 2017, the UC Smiles program has served more than 2000 students.
The children, their families, and the Dental Hygiene students have all gained valuable information from this experience; it has proven to be a great achievement for everyone! With our area presenting such a need and the program’s success, we will certainly continue to provide this community service for a long time to come.