Medical Assisting Certificate Program Selective Admission Requirements
The Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program at UC Blue Ash College follows a selective program admission process for taking new students. This process has minimum qualifications and other requirements that must be met in order to enroll.
The Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program admits students through a selective admission process each year. Incoming students who wish to pursue a certificate in Medical Assisting (28CRT-MA-C2) should apply through UC admissions to be admitted to the UC Blue Ash College and the Pre-Health Professions, non-degree program. Current UC students in other majors may also apply. The application for the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program selective admission for fall semesters will open October 1 and close December 1. All applications must be submitted by December 1 even if the minimum criteria will not be met until the end of the Fall semester.
The following are the minimum criteria and any additional requirements that must be met in order to be considered for program admission to the next cohort for the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program. These criteria will be similar for all the selective programs, but there may be some differences or program specific requirements that must be completed. Please make sure you are aware of all the requirements.
Electronic Application Preparation
In preparation for the electronic application, students should have the following required documents and information available:
- Is all of your demographic information (address, telephone numbers, etc.) up-to-date in the UC system? If your information is not up to date, please go to the One Stop web page to update demographic information.
- Information needed includes the UCID# (M#), last name, first name, middle name, UC email address, last year of high school, and names of previously attended colleges/universities.
- A Word document of a reflective essay regarding your career goals is required. See the detailed description for preparation of this file below.
These are the minimum criteria that must be met to be considered for the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program. If you do not meet these requirements, you should not submit a selective program admission application. By enrolling in pre-health professions, you are able to work towards these requirements at UC Blue Ash College, and apply once they are met. The pre-health professions advisor can assist with putting together a parallel plan.
Students who will meet the minimum selective program admission criteria below by December 1 are encouraged to apply to the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program via the electronic application available between October 1 and December 1. High school seniors may apply contingent upon meeting minimum biology and GPA requirements at graduation. All applications must be submitted by December 1.
- Confirmed admission to the University of Cincinnati
- Content GPA 2.5 (MA1001, BIOL1015, ENGL1001, HLSC2012) for new and transfer students
- Placement Test:
- STAT1031 Ready (or completion of MATH0029 with minimum grade of C-)
- ENGL0099 Ready OR ACT ELA1 or ENGL minimum score of 18 OR UC English placement test minimum score of 5
In addition to the minimum academic qualifications, there are some additional requirements that you must complete as a part of the application process for the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program. Additional requirements are as follows:
The Reflective Essay
In addition to the minimum academic qualifications, each applicant is required to submit a reflective essay. The prompt for the reflective essay is, "Why are you interested in the Medical Assisting profession? Describe two characteristics you possess and how they will help you succeed as a student in the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program and as a medical assistant in professional practice".
Your document should be formatted as follows:
- Word document
- Name should appear at the top of the first page of the essay
- 500 words or less
- Times New Roman
- Size 12 font
- Double spaced
- One-inch margins on all sides
- Text aligned to the left only
- References cited in APA format
- The name of your Word file must begin with your UC Username (6+2 login used to access your UC email and accounts).
Essays that meet the following criteria will be awarded the highest score:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the profession of medical assisting
- Clearly-explained characteristics that would contribute to their success as a student and professional MA with references cited in APA format
- Information is well organized, sequenced, and constructed
- No misspellings, punctuation, or grammatical errors
- All of the document formatting and length requirements were followed
The Selection Process
The program admissions committee will review the academic records and reflective essay for all students who meet the minimum selective admission criteria and complete the application process. The highest rankings will be given to those students who are most successful in the following areas:
- High school biology OR college equivalent
- Most recent cumulative GPA (based on a 4.0 scale), either high school OR college with at least 12 credit hours completed
- Completion of college courses with a grade of C or better: College-Level Math, Intro to Anatomy & Physiology, Medical Terminology, English Composition, and one social science elective.
Additional Important Information
Application to the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program does not guarantee admission. Students can apply to the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program only twice. Students who meet minimum qualifications by December 1 will be considered for admission and will receive notification via their UC email account of acceptance by December 22. Students must confirm their acceptance to the Medical Assisting Technical Certificate program by responding (details included in acceptance email) within one week of notice to ensure a space in the class.
Muntz Hall | Room 140