First-Year Experience Advising
Scheduling an Appointment with Your Advisor
- Call our office at 513-745-5753 and leave a message with your name, M#, phone number and reason for your call
- The easiest way is through Starfish:
- Go to Canopy and click on the Student Tools tile, located on the left side of the screen.
- Click on My Advising and enter your username + password to log into Starfish. Click on your advisor’s name (be sure to know who this is before scheduling!).
- Choose an option for why you are meeting. Click the Continue button.
- Choose one of the open dates that works for you. Click the Continue button.
- Choose if you want a phone appointment or WebEx appointment. Be sure to leave a good number to call for a phone appointment!
- You can also indicate more information about your appointment. Click the Confirm button.
What Can My Advisor Help With?
- Program requirements
- Academic concerns
- Campus resources
- Transition questions
- Dropping or withdrawing
- University policies and procedures
Meeting With Your Advisor
When meeting with your advisor, be prepared!
- Be ready a few minutes early to log in or wait for your phone call
- Know why you are meeting with your advisor
- Know your username, password, and Student ID/M number
- Have a list of questions or concerns
- Have a pen a paper to write down information from the meeting
Frequently Asked Questions
Students are highly encouraged to meet with their advisor at least once a semester to make sure they are on track in their program. All first-year students are blocked from registration during their first full year, requiring a meeting before being able to register. Other specific programs may also block students’ registration, requiring a meeting with their advisor.
The Advising Center is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Advisors actual schedules can vary but most appointments are from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. with some evening hours.
It depends on the type of information you seek or what needs to be accomplished in the meeting. Most meetings are scheduled for 30 minutes, while some may be scheduled for one hour.
While it is important to keep to your scheduled appointment, we understand that things happen. You can cancel your appointment by calling 513-745-5753, stopping by our office or on Starfish if that is how you made the appointment. As a courtesy, please try to cancel your appointment as soon as you find out you won’t make it.
How Can I Be Successful?
It all starts with the help of your advisor!
- DO plan to meet with your Advisor regularly
- BE aware of registration dates & deadlines
- UNDERSTAND your program requirements
- UTILIZE campus resources
- CHECK your email daily
- ACCEPT responsibility for your education
- DON’T ignore Starfish emails
- DON’T procrastinate planning for future semesters
- DON’T be afraid to seek assistance
- DON’T take on more than you can balance
- DON’T get behind on classroom work
- DON’T give up!
Helpful Web Resources
- How to Find Your Advisor
- Check out the majors list and find your program. Some programs may have a “Pre” in front of them. Larger programs will be broken down by the first letter of your last name, which will be in parentheses.
- Blue Ash Basics
- Student Guides and resources, with helpful links to Academic Advising, One Stop, Academic Support, Student Life and Technology.
- Catalyst Tips & Tricks
- How-to videos and handouts for all your Catalyst needs. Includes information for viewing service indicators, how to register for classes, class schedule builder, wait-listing or swapping a class and running a degree audit.
- Majors at UC
- Chosen a major, but not sure where it will take you? Or still not set on your major? See how majors at UC lead to different career paths.
UC Blue Ash Advising Center
Muntz Hall Room 125