Latinx Student Support & Outreach
Nosotros lo hacemos posible. Tú lo logras.
We Make it Possible. You Make it Happen.
We're here to help you connect with other Latinx students on campus. We also provide a variety of programs and events throughout the year to help you feel at home here at UC Blue Ash. From our annual Latinx student welcome event to our leadership workshops and monthly social gatherings, we have something for every student to get involved and become a member of our UCBA family.
We're Advocates for Equity
- The Latino population in the United States is growing! According to the Pew Research Center, Latinos currently make up 14% of the US population; by 2050, that percentage is expected to grow to 29%. In Ohio, 4% of the state population is Latino, and that figure is expected to continue to rise.
- The Latino population in Ohio is young: the median age for Latinos in our state is 25, compared to 42 for White Non-Hispanics, according to the 2015 US Census. In Ohio, 6% of the K-12 population is Latino.
- There is room for growth: nationally, only 24% of Latino adults (over 25 YO) hold an associate’s degree or higher, compared to 44% of all adults in the US.
- 41% of Latino students who do attend college choose to attend public 2-year degree-seeking institutions like UC Blue Ash
- In order for the US to regain the top ranking in the world for college degree attainment, Latinos will need to earn 6.1 million more degrees by 2020
- For more information on Latinos in Ohio higher education, check out these Ohio fast facts from Excelencia in Education!
UC Blue Ash College is at the forefront of supporting current Latino students and supporting equitable access to higher education.
Since many Latino students are also first-generation college students, there are unique challenges and questions that arise. Our office has the experience to help answer those questions and be a guide for students and their families. And you aren’t alone—nearly half of UC Blue Ash students are first-generation college students!
Quick Facts on Latinx Students at UC Blue Ash:
- Where do UC Blue Ash Latino students come from?
- Our top feeder high schools are Fairfield, Lakota East/West, Princeton and Mason high schools.
- What are the top three majors for our Latino students?
- Pre-Business Administration
- Pre-Health Professions
- Exploratory Studies.
- We offer a variety of cultural programming on campus to help Latino students feel at home and to connect the UC Blue Ash community with the beautiful diversity of Latin American cultures. We seek student input to help us create student-centered programming, so stay tuned for updates on Hispanic Heritage month (September 15 to October 15).
- Our Latinos en Acción student affinity group is an important way to get connected to the Latino community at UC Blue Ash, as well as vital academic and social support systems.
- In conjunction with the Office of Ethnic Programs and Services, we encourage all students to participate in this year’s Ohio Latino Student Summit, which will take place at Tangeman University Center in Clifton on October 4. It is a once-in-a-year opportunity to connect with Latino students from all across Ohio!
- SABER (Student Achievement through Building and Exploring Relationships) is an exciting new culturally-designed mentoring program at UCBA in partnership with Cincinnati Public Schools and the Cincinnati Youth Collaborative. This is an opportunity for current college students (who identify as Latino) to mentor Latino high school students at Gilbert Dater high school throughout the year. Our mentors gain valuable experience and training through the Cincinnati Youth Collaborative, and our mentees gain valuable knowledge about higher education and college access.
- Our office is proud to offer high school parent-teacher conference college access sessions in Spanish as outreach to area high schools with significant English Language Learner populations. Please contact us if you are interested in bringing a Spanish-language college access talk to your school district!
Para los padres y madres
La Universidad de Cincinnati Blue Ash College se esfuerza por crear un ambiente abierto, amable y de apoyo para nuestros estudiantes hispanos/latinos y sus familias. La Oficina de Asuntos Hispanos/Latinos proporcionará todas las herramientas y recursos necesarios para facilitar una experiencia académica de alta calidad y para crear una experiencia social positiva para nuestros estudiantes. Además, la Oficina de Asuntos Hispanos/Latinos llevará a cabo y patrocinará actividades para servir la comunidad hispana/latina del Sudoeste de Ohio y del Norte de Kentucky.
Visitas al Campus en español
¿Quieres convertirte en estudiante de UC Blue Ash? ¿Te interesa conocer el campus en tu idioma? En UC Blue Ash ofrecemos visitas del campus guiadas en español e inglés.
Las visitas al campus de Blue Ash en español son sólo con cita y se pueden programar completando el formulario de visita al campus (en línea) o llamando al (513) 936-1538 . Todos los recorridos se realizan en un ambiente de grupo e incluyen una sesión de información completamente en español. La sesión de información le informará sobre el proceso de solicitud, recursos disponibles y el proceso de ayuda financiera.
Program Manager of Inclusion and Involvement
Office: Muntz 123