Undetermined Associate Degree
Why study Exploratory?
The UC Blue Ash College Exploratory Studies program is designed for students not yet ready to commit to a major and who need time to explore the opportunities available to them. Truly undecided students should take the opportunity to explore their strengths, academic interests, and talents before committing to a major. Exploratory students at UCBA have a specially assigned Exploratory advisor to assist with decision-making and course selection while exploring degree options or working toward getting into a desired major.
Open to all students with a high school diploma or GED.
Students will be successful if they take advantage of the following resources and programs offered at UCBA:
- Professional Exploratory Advising: Advisors can give you information about all of UCBA’s majors as well as providing personal assessment and evaluation.
- Student Success Seminar (MLTI1021 at UCBA): This course helps students choose a major and provides an introduction to college life.
- First Year Experience (FYE) Program: Exploratory Students are able to participate in a range of UCBA FYE programming and events.
The one-year Exploratory Studies program at UCBA provides a foundation of General Education courses, which will help you develop in critical thinking, effective communication, social responsibility and knowledge integration. Employers value these competencies, and they fulfill part of the UC General Education requirements, which all students must complete.
The one-year Exploratory Studies program at UCBA does not lead to a degree. The program offers opportunities to explore possible careers and majors, and, after one year in the program, students are required to select a degree program. After exploring their options, students may select one of many associate degree programs offered at UCBA, both the applied/career programs that lead to immediate employment or one of many Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees that allow for smooth transition into baccalaureate programs at UC. Students may also choose to apply to a selective program at another UC College after a semester or a year.
Please note that students interested in the following programs, should not select Exploratory Studies. The college offers other one-year programs that are better suited to these career choices:
- Students interested in pursuing the associate’s degree in nursing, dental hygiene, or radiologic technology should apply to the Pre-Health Professions one-year program to prepare for selective admissions into these degree programs.
- Students interested in applying to the baccalaureate program in Special Education or Secondary Language Arts should select the UCBA one-year program: Pre-Special Education or Pre-Secondary Language Arts.
UCBA offers several other unique programs that can also help students make informed academic decisions:
- The First Year Experience Program: An innovative, year-long, freshman program that helps students successfully transition from high school to the university setting through FYE courses, events, and programming.
- College Success Skills: A course that focuses on vital skills acquisition, effective use of technology and campus resources.
- Career Development Center: Learn more about various career opportunities associated with each of UCBA’s majors.
9555 Plainfield Rd
Blue Ash, OH 45236