UC Blue Ash College

Radiologic Technology FAQs

Get Answers to Your Questions

Have questions about the Rad Tech program? We've compiled a few of the most commonly asked questions and answers for your convenience below.

Q. Do you have an ultrasound program?

A. Unfortunately the University of Cincinnati does not have an ultrasound program.

Q. Why can't I select radiologic technology as my major when I apply to the college?

A. Radiologic technology admits students through a selective admissions process. Most students come in as pre health professions (PHLP) majors and then apply for the radiologic technology program.

Q. Do you have a waiting list?

A. No! The program admits students through a selective admissions process. Get the full details on the Selective Admissions process.

Q. Is this program online?

A. No, this program is primarily taught face-to-face in the classroom with a few courses delivered in the hybrid format (partially online and partially face-to-face).

Q. Can I do this program part time?

A. No, the program is very time intensive (40 hours per week participation including on-site clinical work at local hospitals).

Q. Can I do this program at night or on weekends?

A. No, the program is primarily full-time Mon-Fri during the day.

Q. Can I work full time and be in the radiologic technology program?

A. Students are strongly discouraged from attempting to work more than a light part-time job.

Q. How long is the program?

A. The program takes 2 years to complete.

Q. Can I set up a meeting to talk about radiologic technology?

A. The program offers information sessions throughout the year so prospective students can meet with program faculty and staff, ask questions about the program and find more out about the career. Information sessions are open to everyone and no RSVP is required. Students receive credit during the application process for attending an information session.

Q. I am a student with previous college experience; who do I meet with to talk about what credits will count towards this program?

A. After you have confirmed your acceptance to the college and had your official transcripts sent from your previous college/s, then you should meet with your advisor. They will be able to evaluate your transfer credits.

Q. Does this program offer refresher courses?

A. Only students accepted through the selective admissions process are allowed to take radiologic technology classes.

Q. What courses do I need to take to get into the program?

Q. Is it too late for me to apply to the program?

A. The selective admissions application window for the following fall semester is open one time per year from January to March 1. Check the Admissions page for the specific dates.

Q. Are the Pre-Advanced Medical Imaging (PAMIT) or Radiation Therapy programs the same as Radiologic Technology?

A. No, they are separate programs. Information about the Pre- Advanced Medical Imaging program offered on the UC Blue Ash campus can be found at the Medical Imaging Information page.

A. The Radiation Therapy program is not currently being offered through UC.

Q. Is the Bachelors in Radiation Science Technology program the same as Radiologic Technology?

A. No, it is a completion program for certified medical imaging and radiation therapy technologists to take.

Q. What is a radiographer?

A. A radiographer is a trained professional who has passed a national certification exam and can perform diagnostic x-rays on patients using a variety of radiating generating equipment. Radiographers may utilize materials visible by x-rays to highlight certain areas of the body not normally seen. These materials may be introduced into the body via any orifice or via an IV. Radiographers must be able to care for patients, understand and calculate technical factors used in generating radiation, administer medications, move and manipulate patients and heavy equipment, stand and walk for long periods of time, and be able to communicate well with others. A radiographer is also referred to as a radiologic technologist. A radiographer is NOT a radiation therapist who treats patients with radiation or a sonographer who utilizes ultrasound technology.

Q. Does a radiographer diagnose x-ray images?

A. No, a Radiographer is NOT a Radiologist. Radiologists are physicians who have completed medical school and then specialized in radiology through extensive internships and fellowships.

Q. If I have college transfer credit for math and English do I need to take the placement test?

A. You do not need the placement test if your courses meet or exceed the minimum requirements for application to the program.

Q. Am I required to take ALL my classes at UC Blue Ash?

A. No, you can take your prerequisite classes and general education classes at any UC college where they are offered including Clermont and the College of Arts and Sciences. You must take all radiologic technology (RDTN designation) at the Blue Ash Campus.

Q. How often should I meet with my Academic Adviser?

A. All students should initially meet in person with their Academic Adviser. Students should continue to make contact with their advisor each term. After the initial contact is made with your advisor, you may choose to communicate either in person or via email to confirm your plans for the upcoming semester.

Q. What are tuition and fees at UC Blue Ash?

Q. Will there be a drug test?

A. Yes, the student is required to submit to a drug test.

Q. Will there be a background check?

A. Yes, the student is required to submit to a background check.

Q. I know I don't have a clean background check; how does that affect acceptance into the program?

A. Determinations for clinical placements are made by the clinical sites on a case by case basis. The program does not make this decision.


Contact Information

Muntz Hall | Room 140
LuAnna Schwaeble
Program Coordinator
Phone: 513-936-1631
Email: luanna.schwaeble@uc.edu